Approved by Representative Assembly 17 April 2021
United Academics recognizes that our members are the backbone of the three separately accredited universities in the University of Alaska system. Even as this system is faced with the challenges and strife of today, faculty’s continued dedication to students, learning, and scholarship will positively impact generations to come. As faculty lead by example, we hope our commitment will inspire others to join us.
Honor Our Differences
● Maintain the highest standards of reliability, accountability, ethics, and integrity.
● Engage in direct communication, academic debate, and the pursuit of knowledge to create an
environment of free and honest inquiry.
● Facilitate awareness and dialogue to elevate the perspectives of others, particularly those of
historically marginalized and racialized groups.
Prioritize the Academic Mission
● Align workload activities with accreditation standards, program objectives, and student needs.
● Stay current in subject matter, pedagogical methods, and curriculum processes.
● Be familiar with and support the fulfillment of accreditation standards.
● Share best practices and resources for teaching with colleagues.
● Communicate with students outside of the classroom, including mentoring and advising.
● Insist on full compliance with all policies and procedures (e.g., BOR, NWCCU, Faculty Handbook,
Faculty Senate, CBA, specialized accreditation reports) as a matter of institutional integrity.
Educate for Common Good
● Embrace the unique democratizing role of higher education within society.
● Elevate education as a public good rather than a for-profit enterprise.
● Recognize the positive impact our endeavors have on the quality of life in Alaska.
● Embrace a willingness to live and work in a just and sustainable manner.
● Promote the welfare of our society and the well-being of our planet.
Build the Future
● Embrace democratic principles in the governance of academic affairs and the accompanying
responsibility that comes with that to include actively engaging in shared governance service.
● Propose solutions and make decisions based on factual, established, and vetted criteria.
● Capitalize on personal strengths, disciplinary knowledge, and a robust professional network to
enhance the reputation of the university and benefit students and junior colleagues.
● Partner with our local communities to share resources and make productive connections.