United Academics-AAUP/AFT Local 4996 is the largest of the three higher education faculty unions at the University of Alaska. Each of the three MAUs—University of Alaska Fairbanks, University of Alaska Anchorage, and University of Alaska Southeast–have an Org VP who is elected by the full members of each campus. In addition, our rural campuses throughout the state have one Org VP elected by rural/extended sites members. The Representative Assembly (RA) is also elected by the full members of each campus, or by the extended sites members of each MAU. The President of UNAC is elected at large by UNAC faculty who are Full Members. United Academics also has a Contract Manager, Assistant Contract Manager, and other staff who work closely together with faculty, the UNAC President, and the RA to ensure that all of the elements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) are consistently followed. United Academics members who have questions or concerns are welcome to talk with an RA member, the Organizational Vice President from their MAU, the Contract Manager, Melanie Arthur, or the Assistant Contract Manager, Kate Quick.
We are affiliated with the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT).
United Academics was organized in 1996, ratifying our first contract in 1998. Since that time, positive changes to faculty workload and wages have been made through union representation.
Our organizational objectives, as stated in our Constitution, are as follows:
- Facilitate more effective cooperation among faculty at the University of Alaska for the promotion of the interests of higher education, teaching, research, and service, and in general to increase the usefulness and advance the standards, ideals, and welfare of the profession.
- Protect and advance the professional status and interests of all faculty.
- Promote the diversity of unique academic interests and capabilities at each campus within a unified university.
- Defend academic freedom at the University of Alaska.
- Sustain and enhance governance at the University of Alaska.
- Support and promote the purposes of the national constitutions of the AAUP and AFT as they relate to higher education.
- Join AAUP in its commitment to protect faculty by taking measures, including censure, against colleges and universities practicing illegal or unconstitutional discrimination, or discrimination on a basis not demonstrably related to the job function involved, including but not limited to age, sex, disability, race, religion, national origins, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- Promote educational programs, opportunities, and research at the University of Alaska for the benefit of the people of the State of Alaska. Obtain and maintain satisfactory terms and conditions of employment through the collective bargaining process.